Creating a Fall Capsule Wardrobe: Fashionable Staples for All Ages
The signs are everywhere – school buses on the road, Halloween candy on the shelves in August, cravings for pumpkin spice anything…
Fall is coming. And with the bitter goodbye to freedom and frolicking, we say hello to the most fun time of the year for fashion!
Finally. It is time to put away the string bikinis (and by string bikini, I mean frumpy-tankini-with-a-skirt-and-long-sleeved-coverup) and break into long pants, layers, jackets, textures, hats, scarves, boots. Ahhh, the good stuff.
So to celebrate the cusp of my favorite fashion season, I, your intrepid over-forty fashion blogger, present to you my “Capsule of Fall Fashion Fabulousness.” With these few pieces, you can create so many looks to get you between the season of “oh too much skin” and “I don’t think my skin will ever see sun again because I am going to wear this down coat foreverandeveramen.”
Capsule wardrobes have become a hot trend in themselves, basically calling for you to pare down your wardrobe to core pieces that you love, that can be worn in many different ways, and for the different needs of your clothing life. Well, as a fashion lover with quite the “collection” (read: hordes of sweaters and everything else from seventh grade on), I personally won’t go so drastic as to whittle that down to a few for forever. I love the challenge of getting dressed in the morning; the excitement of trying a new combination. I realize for many of you, your morning closet-feeling is the exact opposite: “Ugh.” That is where capsule wardrobes shine – they streamline your choices so that you always know what to wear with what. A great fear and anxiety reducer for many ladies!
So let’s take a look at a Fall Capsule Collection for all ages. Use this as a jump point, or a reference, but add your own flair and favorites. Of course your pieces don’t need to match mine exactly, but think of things like:
*Do I have a palette of “basic” colors, plus one or two accent colors?
*Have I brought in various textures? (Here, there is denim, leather, canvas, cotton.)
*Will my pieces mix and match in fun and fashionable ways and give me lots of variety?
*Does my capsule allow me to attend many events, from weekday errands to a weekend party?
*Have I shown my personality by adding a bit of whimsy and fun?
The capsule wardrobe pieces:
-Black and white striped long sleeve tee
-Graphic short sleeve tee
-Olive cargo/safari/military vest
-Your go-to jeans
-Cargo joggers/soft pants
1. Everyday Ease- This look is so perfect for just about any activity, from the kids’ sporting events, to the farmers market, to date night, to dinner with your best gal pal to discuss why bathing suits are a work of evil. The pieces in themselves are modest, yet come together in fun and fashionable way. The olive vest looks great over the striped tee. My “pop” here is the Noonday Firelight Necklace, but this look could also pair with gold or silver jewelry or a great scarf. So you can keep the “background” of the outfit the same, and by changing the accessories, you will keep from getting bored with your capsule. This would work with a slip-on sneaker, or even leopard heels!
2. The Denim+Leather Dream- Ahhh, the denim shirt. Please, I beg you, include this in your fall capsule. It will pair effortlessly with any color pants or skirt while giving you an easy, fashion-forward swagger. My favorite way to wear my denim shirts (Yes I said “shirts,” plural.) is paired with a dressier skirt. Many other possible tops for this leather skirt would feel too forced, but the denim gives ease to the tough leather. So this look takes leather, which as we know can skew bad-80’s-band, and makes it modern, yet still conservative. Leather is everywhere for fall, so I really recommend you add a piece like this, or at least a jacket with leather sleeves or accents. My featured accessory here is the Noonday Linked Horn Necklace. I felt the combo of the unpolished horn and metallic links gave just the right uptown/downtown look to this outfit.
3. Fun and Easy- Here I paired a simple graphic tee with some olive “joggers.” These soft pants have been a great addition to my summer wardrobe, and I know they will continue to pull their weight in the fall. I like the ones with elastic around the ankle- so great for showing off your shoe. This looked could be jazzed up with a heel (the same chunky bootie or leopard heel), or kept chilled-out casual with a sneaker or sandal. I went for chunky silver accessories like the Noonday Moonrise Cuff, Enchanted Headband, and Ombré Prism Earrings.
4. Black and White and Cool All Over- Here are two pieces we have seen before. So begins the mix and match! I paired the striped tee from Look #1 with the leather skirt of #2 for a whole new look. See how classically beautiful and dressy this combo can be when paired with the GORGEOUS new La Luna Necklace from Noonday Collection? Keep the accessories simple and let this timeless look shine.
5. The Denim Tuxedo- This look has become a staple in fashion-blogger land because it is so easy and it’s truly an outfit that lets the accessories take center stage. A denim shirt paired with jeans – preferably in two different shades – really does come off as effortlessly cool. I love this with your heeled booties or heels, but again it could work with a flat bootie or dressy flats. I’m showing it two ways, one with more neutral accessories, and one where the accessories (like the Modern Fable Scarf) add lovely color to the look.
From here you could wear either shirt with the olive joggers, and the graphic tee with the leather skirt. Add the vest over the denim shirt and leather skirt combo for a whole different vibe. Or go super casual by pairing the graphic tee over the striped tee, with the jeans and some fun flats.
Make it your own
So there you have it. Fall Capsule Wardrobe in A Box. Or a Closet. Use these basic starters to launch yourself into a fashionable fall. Mix patterns and textures, and try to have elements of high and low, dressy and casual, in every outfit. It is the mix that makes it interesting, fresh, exciting, and YOU. My biggest hope for this is not that you copy me or any other (much more stylish) blogger, but rather that you expand your likes and your comfort zone into a place of Fashion Confidence. And fun. Never forget the fun. No matter your age, no matter your size, YOU can be fashionable and put together. Yes YOU, the adorable gal reading this. I love you and your new fearlessness. It looks better on you than any outfit ever could.
To follow Jennifer Frey, and get more inspiring fashion and honest talk, visit her blog at BonjourForty.com and via Facebook and Instagram.